About Me

Weardale, Co Durham, United Kingdom
I am a keen quilter, enjoying both hand and machine quilting. I mainly machine piece and avoid too much applique! I have 12 silly chickens who are supposed to live in a run alongside the main garden, but they didn't read the instructions and keep escaping! I am a very part time teacher, just a few afternoons teaching French to primary children to subsidise my fabric habit.

Saturday 27 February 2010

Tired but successful

 It snowed most of the morning but didn't really add a great deal more to the overnight accumulation thank goodness. I was a good girl and cut some more strips and squares for the D9P blocks, last night was the first for ages that I had to finish off something before I went to bed! I had some blocks partly completed in the morning and had to get them sewn before I could sleep.
My poor hens look so fed up! The garden is covered in snow again and there is no grass for them, the wildlife is suffering I am even beginning to feel sorry for the rabbits! Although when the snow finally goes and I discover how much of my garden they have eaten I will probably not feel so philanthropic!
The 'girls' are so disenchanted with the snow they refused to come out of the house this morning and I had to throw their bread inside! Yesterday I had 4 eggs but today there were only 2; now either they are on strike or they are hiding them again!! I wandered round the garden looking in all their favourite hiding places from last year but all I found was snow! I wonder if they will appear when the snow melts.
Our quilt shop visit was most successful, Christine found just what she needed for the borders and for the red tractor and I managed to get some brilliant fabric for my 2 redwork projects. Thoroughly pleased with ourselves we set off for home. Only to remember when it was too late to turn back, as the shop was closed, that we should have got some heat'nbond!!!!!! This wouldn't be so frustrating if it wasn't for the fact that we don't live near fabric shops, this quilt shop is our nearest and its 45 miles away and closed on mondays! Fortunately I have known the owner since I moved here 9 years ago and she is very kind, if I phone on tuesday I know she will put some in the post  for me, although she doesn't really do mail order. So with luck we should have it by the end of the week, in the meantime Christine is going to make her animal patterns to trace onto the fusable web when we get it. Despite confusing ourselves over how to piece the curved sky I did remember to tell Christine to reverse her drawings for the fusable web or everything will be looking the wrong way!!
As I write this the cat Oscar has ousted our springer Barney from his place in front of the log burner! They made us laugh yesterday as they were lying side by side like bookends, the cat was even lying like a dog with his head on his paws!

2 comments:

Pat said...

The poor critters have even had enough of snow....just like most of us humans!

Donna said...

Hope your snow goes away quickly. It sounds like you had a great time on your trip to the quilt shop. I'll have to spend some more time with your blog and find out what you've been working on.