About Me

Weardale, Co Durham, United Kingdom
I am a keen quilter, enjoying both hand and machine quilting. I mainly machine piece and avoid too much applique! I have 12 silly chickens who are supposed to live in a run alongside the main garden, but they didn't read the instructions and keep escaping! I am a very part time teacher, just a few afternoons teaching French to primary children to subsidise my fabric habit.

Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year

January 1st 2010
woke up to deep snow!!!The channels we had cleared to the wash house and hens completely obliterated!So set off with the new snow shovel to clear a path to the hens so they could be fed, Barney thought it was great fun and kept jumping over the channel I cut causing the sides to collapse!!Just finished in time for the next blizzard!
Paul is feeling tired today and his tummy is feeling a bit tingly and burny. The radiotherapy must be having some effect, bit worried about how I will get him to James Cook tomorrow. We are forecast heavy snow showers all day, they think we will get another 4". Once it stops snowing and the plough goes up the road will be fine, getting off the drive onto the road however could be an adventure!! If Paul was well we would really enjoy this weather, but with the transport worries and the knowledge that not having the treatment isnt an option it's really come at a bad time.
Fortunately the chemo seems to have left his system and the new anti emetics mean he is eating for England, he has managed to put on 4lbs of the 10 he lost and the dietician is more relaxed!
In himself he is feeling much better, we just pray we can get through the next 2 weeks and that it works.
I have been getting on with the hand quilting on the cottage gardens quilt it's only been on the frame for 3 yrs!!! I have managed another row! with luck by the time I go back to school it will be nearly finished, I have so many unfinished and even unstarted projects. I made a reasonable attempt to tidy the sewing room, it need a serious sort out of fabric and some kind of organisation, probably making several scrap quilts would help!!
The hens are not impressed with the snow but are managing to lay about 3 eggs a day! Oscar is definitely not impressed, he prefers to lay on the tree skirt in the kitchen, no fool him, the underfloor heating makes it very cosy and because he is under the tree he tends to go unnoticed. It does mean I will have to get busy with mop and bucket under the stairs as I suspect he has made his own litter tray in the spare newspapers we store there to light the fire!!! I havent the heart to turf him out in such appalling weather.We have had snow for 2 weeks now and it doesnt look like going any time soon! I am so glad the boiler has decided to work again!

No comments: