About Me

Weardale, Co Durham, United Kingdom
I am a keen quilter, enjoying both hand and machine quilting. I mainly machine piece and avoid too much applique! I have 12 silly chickens who are supposed to live in a run alongside the main garden, but they didn't read the instructions and keep escaping! I am a very part time teacher, just a few afternoons teaching French to primary children to subsidise my fabric habit.

Thursday 15 April 2010

no passport needed!

We had a lovely day, the drive was beautiful, the scenery was amazing! Of course I forgot the camera but there is always next time!! It only took about 2hrs to get there and was very easy to find.They have a coffee shop in the quilt shop and a sign saying Husbands waiting area!!! For us it's a good size shop, with a decent classroom space and the most amazing array of marking tools I've come across! Things like that tend to be an afterthought here, I also found packs of safety pins both straight and curved for basting and they're not easy to find either! A really well laid out, well stocked fabric selection, 100% cotton gingham, again not easy to find, some gorgeous batiks and a good selection of moda jellyrolls. No layer cakes or charm packs though and no fat quarter bundles. Apparently in the UK the retailers have to place their Moda orders  and only exactly what they order is imported, this means if something is popular and sells well they can't re-order more! That seems daft to me! And explains why finding some lines is so hard. Paul had a cup of tea and then went to read his book in the car as the seat was more comfortable! Across the road was a woollen mill outlet so we had a look around and had lunch there. He did really well and had scampi and chips, I had soup and sandwich but unfortunately had picked up a tummy bug before we set off so I wasn't too comfortable!
I don't know how we managed it but we somehow missed a turn on the way home and ended up doing a good 20 mile detour! Still we saw parts we haven't seen before!! A really good  day and I will be going back!
I got a Cranberry wishes jelly roll, and assorted marking tools!!

2 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad you had such a nice outing...complete with a nice lunch. Next time, you must promise NOT to forget the camera, okay?

Donna said...

So nice you got to have such a good outing, and to a quilt shop! It doesn't get much better than that, does it?