About Me

Weardale, Co Durham, United Kingdom
I am a keen quilter, enjoying both hand and machine quilting. I mainly machine piece and avoid too much applique! I have 12 silly chickens who are supposed to live in a run alongside the main garden, but they didn't read the instructions and keep escaping! I am a very part time teacher, just a few afternoons teaching French to primary children to subsidise my fabric habit.

Saturday 6 March 2010

Kitchen Goddess or how to burn a banana loaf while you're watching it!

We are having some friends call by tomorrow afternoon so I decided I would be the perfect hostess and bake! Since Paul and I have been home during his convalesence I have been making cupcakes, scones and other goodies for when people call. I didnt want to disappoint my public!!! So I decided on cupcakes and a banana loaf as we had some 'iffy' bananas left from last week. I carefully made the cupcakes, mixed up the banana loaf and realised I couldn't bake it in my normal oven 'cos the cupcakes were in there. Never mind, no problem I'll put it in the fan oven but just not for as long! I stayed in the kitchen, had my lunch, washed up, looked at the clock and thought Oh I'll check the loaf now then I can go quilting!! When I looked the top had burnt! Still edible but not for public consumption!! I felt really peeved I had even stayed in the kitchen to make sure it would be ok. I really don't like fan ovens for baking!!!
To cheer myself up I am going to watch an episode of an old 'soap' that Paul got me on DVD for Christmas and do some more handquilting on my Cottage Gardens quilt.
Its a queen size, churn dash block set on point with low contrast, I think it will look good here as I have an old stone house.
It's on a Grace EZ3 handquilting frame in the study, which I dearly want to decorate but can't until the quilt is finished! It's been on the frame for about 3yrs because of one thing and another so decorating is a good incentive to get my finger out and finish it!.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I think your quilt will be lovely. I often make banana bread with my "iffy" bananas....and I have taken to adding raisins and nuts and love it that way. What is a fan oven?? That is a new term to me.

Donna said...

The quilt is looking beautiful! Sorry about your banana bread. I like to make it also. I don't know what a fan oven is either.