About Me

Weardale, Co Durham, United Kingdom
I am a keen quilter, enjoying both hand and machine quilting. I mainly machine piece and avoid too much applique! I have 12 silly chickens who are supposed to live in a run alongside the main garden, but they didn't read the instructions and keep escaping! I am a very part time teacher, just a few afternoons teaching French to primary children to subsidise my fabric habit.

Wednesday 10 March 2010

Sparkly Day! Sparkly Week! or Hope Springs Eternal!

I can't believe the weather we're having! Nearly a whole week of sparkly days, the snow on the high tops is melting fast, we can just see the tops of the sparty grass showing through. Lambing is well under way lower down the dale, they say here that while there is lying snow on the tops we still have the possibility of more snow or Lambing storms. Fortunately at this time of year even if we have snow it tends to be short lived!
I felt like a real quilt teacher yesterday as I made a sample block to show my friends how to add the binding!
Paul had a really good day yesterday, he made it right up to the fell gate with me and the dog, its about 1 1/2 miles up a really steep incline, we don't do flat here! Then when we got home he helped me with cleaning the hen house, 3 weeks ago he could just managed strawing up the nest boxes. Yesterday he shovelled the droppings and helped lift the wheelbarrow to empty it in the compost bin! A huge improvement, especially as he then dug a trench around the septic tank as the field drain is leaking and he was panicked it was the tank!
He has been helping with the washing up too which may not sound much but 2-3 weeks ago he couldn't even load the dishwasher! I am feeling better, probably because I am sleeping more and beginning to allow myself to hope! When the cancer came back we were told this aggressive treatment had a 1in 5 chance of eradicating it completely. Someone has to be the 1 maybe it's him, we just keep praying.
Enough misery, it's a good day, I am going to walk Barney and then carry on with some more D9P blocks, I think I may even have enough 'scrap' to make a queen size quilt! I am beginning to get my creativity back. The chest of drawers which holds scrap from previous quilts and stray fat quarters is slowly starting to empty a bit, now I think I will take a draw at a time, sort out the FQ's and fold into see through plastic boxes sorted by colour. Then left over stuff can be ironed & cut into usable strips or 4" squares! A drawer at a time should make it manageable and can be done it the front room watching TV with Paul in the evenings!
I already have some shoe boxes with 1,2,3" strips I might even get a scrap log cabin!!!!

2 comments:

Pat said...

I am glad Paul is feeling better and will hope he is the miracle 1, too. Glad your teaching session went well.

Donna said...

It's good to hear that your hubby is doing better. I also hope that he will be the one that beats the odds. Your teaching session sounds like fun. I look forward to seeing your D9P blocks. I keep saying I'm going to do that, and I really am - someday.