About Me

Weardale, Co Durham, United Kingdom
I am a keen quilter, enjoying both hand and machine quilting. I mainly machine piece and avoid too much applique! I have 12 silly chickens who are supposed to live in a run alongside the main garden, but they didn't read the instructions and keep escaping! I am a very part time teacher, just a few afternoons teaching French to primary children to subsidise my fabric habit.

Tuesday 18 May 2010

gardening!

Well it was blue skies all the way and warm so after handing in my notice at school I came home and did an hour weeding in the garden. Sadly my ankle complained despite the support so I have come in for lunch and a sit down! Hopefully I will get another hour in this afternoon, as I haven't done any serious gardening for the last 2 years with Paul's illness it really needs some love. Paul nailed some boarding to the base of the fencing to try to keep the hens out of the garden, so far it's worked. I wonder how long it will take them to figure out a new way in! We are planning to try to cut the lawn and clear up some of the mess they have made!
 I had a play with EQ6 the other evening and I think I have come up with a way to make my log cabin idea work. There was a log cabin like block which had a large centre square with logs coming off in triangles rather than rectangles, when set on point it made a ribbon of movement across the quilt. I have been playing with different colour schemes to try to 'get' my idea on paper and work out how to sew it ! So far so good! I cant work out how to post a picture of it here but it's looking quite promising. I put the block in the border and it drags it out to fit which creates a really nice framing for the centre. I did try to add photos but as I haven't read that chapter yet it didn't go too well!!
I like how you can ask it to work out fabric requirements and templates too!  so with luck I should be able to take a printout to the quilt shop when I need to get fabric!

2 comments:

Pat said...

I got EQ5 as a gift from hubby a few years ago and never seemed able to learn it. I am taking a chance and getting EQ7 in a few weeks. I have spoken to the EQ people and they say I should be able to learn EQ7 a lot more easily...I sure hope they are right!

Donna said...

Good for you, working out your design on EQ. I have EQ6 and can do some of the basics, and it has been great for that. I do need to learn more though. I hope your ankle will get better quickly.